If someone wants to start quilting, the main factor that comes to mind is fabric. As a beginner, everybody wants to try different fabrics. But the top name that comes to mind is “Cotton,” as it is the best fabric for quilting.
Quilting can be done with hands or with the machine. If someone wants to quilt by hand, it won’t be possible to do that with hands. In the case of heavier cotton, the need for the machine is there.
Below are some of the top choice fabrics for quilting:
- Quilters weight cotton: It is the best quality 100% cotton. This fabric shrinks less as compared to other types of kinds of cotton. Also, if someone wants to test before starting to quilt, then they will see that the color won’t fade much after washing it in the water. It is also can be used to stitch dresses. One can say cotton can withstand many washes and dry too.
- Home decor weight cotton: As the name suggested, this type of cotton is a sateen mix. It can be used to make decorative pillows, cushions, totes, and other decorative items. This fabric is slightly heavier as this has got sateen, so it can not be draped well. So, one must avoid making dresses with this type of fabric.
- Voile: In the case of the blouse, the inner of any skirt, the inside of any dress has a very transparent cotton cloth, which is known as voile. Many fabric designers now use a mix of both quilter’s weight cotton and voile to make quilts.
- Essex Linen: This has got 55 percent of linen in combination with 45 percent of regular cotton. One can mix this with quilters’ weight cotton to make quilts.
- Quilter’s Linen: It is made up of cotton fabric and has a texture of linen. This is great to make patchwork on the quilts. These are easier to handle, and the life of these quilts is longer.
- Cotton Flannel Fabrics: It is a very soft fabric. One can find these in both solid and printed colors. When someone wants to make a baby blanket, this type of fabric is the best.
- Cotton Chintz: When someone is working with bright colors, this type of fabric is great to use. But one needs to wash the fabric first to see whether the color is not fading away.
- Silk: The quilts made up of silk are very attractive to see, warm, and durable.
- Batiks: These types of fabric have got a high thread count. The process involves repeated washing to prevent any further shrinkage. For the quilter’s batik is one of the most popular choices.
- Denim: It is a little heavier as compared to other types of fabrics. It is used in making jackets, dresses, etc.
It is always recommended to use the fabric depending upon the type of quilt one wants to make depending on the usage.